David Ignatius

David Ignatius is a very well spoken writer.  Recently, he has been writing a lot on the topic of John Kerry and his actions in the failed ceasefire between Israel and Gaza.  In his latest article entitled “John Kerry’s big blunder in seeking an Irael-Gaza cease-fire”  He speaks of the problems Kerry has caused by trying to create a quick cease-fire.  Kerry undermined the emerging government of Gaza and sought a cease-fire through the current and hated government.  Ignatius says ” he has solidified the role of Hamas, the intractable, unpopular Islamist group that leads Gaza” Ignatius also defends Kerry by saying “he seeks to fulfill the instructions of President Obama, who wants an immediate cease-fire”

Do you think that Kerry acted rashly?  Did he do so to fulfill the President’s wishes or to protect the innocent lives being lost?  Should he have let it continue as he worked out a slower cease-fire?

6 comments

1. Caitlynn H.

I also read this article by David Ignatius. I agree that he is very well spoken and does not show a lot of opinion in his articles. I think that Kerry did act rashly and did not completely fulfill the President’s request, even though he did try. I think that if he should of let it continue and try and find a more rational approach to end the situation.

2. Joslyn

Kerry did indeed act rashly, but he did it for all the right reasons. He did so to fulfill the President’s wishes and to protect the innocent lives being lost at the same time. I agree with David Ignatius when he defends Kerry, therefore he should not have let it continue as he worked out a slower cease-fire, he did exactly what he was asked to do.

3. AlexD

David Ignatius’s article was on the same topic as my Columnist, Thomas Sowell. Sowell’s article, titled “Cease the Cease-fires”, is about how he believes that Kerry and Obama’s plans for a cease-fire is harmful to both Israel and Palestine, and how they should let Israel continue the war to destroy Hamas. By trying to negotiate a cease-fire with Hamas, Kerry has confirmed their beliefs that they are the legitimate government of the Gaza Strip. This rash decision will only prolong the war between the two. I believe that he based his actions on the President’s wishes and his own beliefs that a cease-fire would save lives. He shouldn’t have tried to make any sort of agreement or cease-fire with Hamas, and instead worked towards a long-time peace with the Palestinian people.

4. Jackie

While reading the column, the situation that occured were the many wishes that the President made. Kerry wanted these wishes to come true for the President. He acted rashly because he was trying to make the president’s wishes come true and protect and help all the innocent people survive. Even though Kerry didn’t completely make the President’s wishes come true, he did try his hardest and he put in all his effort. He should not have let it continue as he worked out a slower cease- fire even though he was asked. I think he thought it was going to save other lives and fulfill the President’s dreams.

5. Audrey

Keegan-
    Kerry acted rashly because his actions solidified a government that is not supported by the people. This will only cause more problems down the road as he did not resolve the unrest in the country.

6. Celia

I think that Kerry acted rashly, but that’s the sort of thing you have no choice to do in a crisis situation like the battle between Israel and Gaza. Also, he has personal stakes in the matter. He’s been working on peace in this region for a long time, and his reputation is at stake, so of course he’s going to rush to find a solution to the violence. I think Kerry acted rashly in part because it was what President Obama wanted, and of course he has to listen to the President. However, I think both he and the President want a cease-fire in the region for the same reason: to save as many innocent lives as possible. People in the region are dying, it is a horrible crisis and the violence is unbelievable. I think that anyone would want to rush to save as many lives as possible. Of course, it might’ve been wise to pace himself more, to work more steadily to a longer, more certain cease-fire, but in dire situations like that, where so many lives are on the line, you do whatever you can and then just go from there.