Bill O’Reilly

Bill O’Reilly is a writer who is not afraid to say what he truly believes to be true, no matter what the consequences may be. As a result, he can often be biased towards the topic at hand. One of the things he often shows bias towards is his opinion of Obama. In all three articles I have analyzed over this summer, he has found some way to relate the problem to Obama. All of these columns also seem to be focusing on problems with the world and how Obama is (not) handling these issues. In the column from July 31st, titled “(Ain’t No Cure For) The Summertime Blues,” Bill O’Reilly explains some of the major problems going on in the world right now, and then explains what Obama is doing to fix them. Obama’s action: Vacationing in Martha’s Vineyard. Bill O’Reilly criticizes Obama’s decision to vacation in a time requiring his attention using sarcasm, saying “Our country, and the world, are in dire need of strong leadership right now. If only they sold it on Martha’s Vineyard.” He also mentions how Obama supporters say the world has always been messy, and they use an incident, similar to the recent Malaysia Airline incidents, involving Reagan and the Soviet Union to support their statement. Bill O’Reilly counters this by saying Reagan was bold enough to ridicule the Soviet Union for their actions, and follows with “Have you heard anything remotely similar from our current commander-in-chief?”

Does Obama deserve a vacation? Is it right for our leader to sit back and relax while our world is slowly destroying itself? Does Obama demonstrate a sense of leadership? If you believe he does, then how strong is his leadership? Should Obama be more bold and take much more action than he already does? Or should Bill O’Reilly learn to respect Obama more?

5 comments

1. kktaylor1

I think Obama deserves a vacation in the fact that I think everyone deserves one just to relax. But, no, in the bigger picture I don’t think that he deserves one. This is because while almost everyone in U.S is struggling to get by, losing their jobs, and not getting a vacation that’s well deserved, he’s vacationing to places like Hawaii with his own private plane. I don’t think it’s right for him to be able to sit back and relax while the world is destroying itself. The middle and lower classes don’t get to do that. I think that Obama does show leadership but in my opinion, it could definitely be stronger. I think sometimes Obama takes too much action. If people like their own space, then what makes him think that different countries don’t? He should stay out of every other countries business and focus on getting America back to the way it should be. I think though if he is going to take more action he should be smarter and do what he says he’s going to do. Stick to your word. With all of Obama’s flaws, Bill O’Reilly has them too. He should definitely learn to respect Obama more because even though he’s not the best president, he deserves to be respected just like everyone else does. But people do have the right to say their own opinion, whether or not others like what they have to say.

2. Nicole H.

Bill O’Reilly sounds extremely biased. I agree with him that Obama picked a wrong time to go on vacation, which makes it easy for people like O’Reilly to use it against him. Obama knew what he signed up for when he ran for president and now he has to accept his responsibilities. However, he is still human and he has two young daughters, so I think that he does deserve a vacation sometime. It’s always possible for him to do work on vacation, too. I also think that Obama is doing his best to demonstrate a sense of leadership. Him and his family are great role models and are trying hard to run the country. O’Reilly doesn’t seem to understand how hard it must be to be president of the United States. Therefore, I think that he’s being a little harsh towards Obama.

3. Zach P

I think Obama definitely deserves a vacation. He has one of the world’s most stressful jobs and has to deal with the pressures of over 300 million people everyday. He should be able to spend a week with his family during the summer. Plus, it’s not like he isn’t doing any work while on vacation, either. I believe Obama does demonstrate a sense of leadership. He makes decisions confidently and stands by them, even if they aren’t always the best. He is willing to admit it when he makes mistakes. I agree with Bill O’Reilly that Obama should take more action than he already does. It seems to me like he is afraid to insult other countries. So even though we know they are at fault (like the Russians in the Malaysia Airline incident) he ends up saying something weak and ineffective.

4. Koby

Being the president of the United States requires a ton of attention, so I do believe Obama deserves vacation time with his family. Obama is most likely stressed out more often than not due to his job, so spending time with his family on vacation isn’t a bad thing. I’m sure he has to take many calls and make many calls regarding his work when he is in Martha’s Vineyard anyway. I do think Obama demonstrates leadership. Anyone who is president of the United States has to demonstrate leadership. How would he have been elected for the second time if he didn’t demonstrate it? Obama could definitely be bolder and take more action because the United States is a powerful country and many countries would listen to us. I do think O’Reilly should respect Obama more. His job is far from easy and after all, he is the president of our country.

5. Jonathan F.

Bill O’Reilly seems to be a good writer, even with his slight distaste with Obama. I think that Obama does deserve a small vacation every once in a while. However, this vacation should never come in a time of conflict or issue. When there is a problem at hand, our president should always be working on a solution. As our leader, there should never be a time where the people of the USA are in fear. I think Obama does show leadership, but not enough. As our president he should be more bold and strong in the problems at hand. He can definitely show more leadership, but he is not doing terrible at what he currently is. Additionally, I think O’Reilly should show a lot more respect to our leader. I would love to see him attempt to perform as the leader of millions of people. Obama definitely has room to improve, but I respect him for the job he is doing. Thanks for sharing!