Ann Coulter

Ann Coulter is a very opinionated writer and always gets her point across. She does not switch between sides, she picks a side and there is no in between. I saw multiple posts about Coulters harsh tone and bold opinion that she clearly shared with her readers,  another thing that I discovered is that she writes a lot about the same type of  topics but the majority of the time I disagreed with her.  She wrote a lot about the world cup which I think after one column she should have left the topic alone. Instead she continued to write a second column about soccer bringing up almost all the same points as she did in her first column. Another column of hers that I focused on was her Bad Inventions column, in this she wrote that she thinks the silent dishwasher is a bad and wasteful invention and a few other inventions that she thinks are not important. The majority of the times she seems to talk about very important and controversial topics and this blog seems to stand out as one that could just be forgotten.

Does writing about one topic that is not controversial make her seem inconsistent about the topics she writes about? or Is it okay for her to take a break from serious topics and talk about something of less importance and controversy?  Should she waste her time on topics like Bad Inventions when most readers don’t care?

2 comments

1. acnigro

I would say that writing about topics such as the World Cup then completely switching gears and discussing “bad inventions” would make Ann inconsistent. I would say its okay to take a break from serious topics so she can write about other arguments that can possibly interest others. In a way, she’s smart to attract more than one type of person. I dont believe she is wasting her time if people are actually enjoying these more simple topics.

2. AlinaDara

I don’t think that writing a topic that is completely different and out of the blue is strange or a waste of time at all. Personally, I like it if a columnist changes it up a little and mentions different things that might engage different readers. Saying that “most readers don’t care” is your own opinion, such as saying that soccer is more interesting/important than inventions and engineering. Ann Coulter may think that a silent dishwasher is a bad and wasteful invention, but every invention is made with a purpose. As long as the invention improves on the original design and functions, then the inventor succeeded in making a new invention that is better than the old dishwasher. With this being said, Ann Coulter could be drawing in a lot of new readers just from mentioning about inventions that she thinks are bad.

Although the inventions themselves may be great, Coulter is giving her own opinion of the inventions, which some engineers or inventors would like to hear/know. I think that if Coulter can vary her blogs and gain different readers, she would be happier and more experienced with writing to please different audiences. In conclusion, I do NOT think her “Bad Inventions” column is a waste of time and I think it will benefit her blogs and writing more.