What happens after you give up drinking?

Throughout the summer, I have been studying columns by Ellen Ratner. Ratner is an American female journalist and political commentator well-known from outlets like Fox News Channel and World Net Daily. Based on what I learned, she seems to be a passionate journalist. She provides insight and analysis on a wide range of issues related to politics and society. Ratner’s views aren’t heavily biased. However, she does provide commentary on the articles she writes and will go out of her way to research her pieces to deliver a story that is accurate and reliable.

There is one particular column I read from Ratner titled, “What happens after you give up drinking?”, and it discusses women in Alcoholics Anonymous who have dealt with alcohol addiction and are now sober. During her interviews with these people, she learns more about their sobriety experiences. This makes Ratner question what would happen if a sober individual drank again. As she speaks to each woman, she asks them what they have learned from being sober. In their response, they said they had acquired integrity and found that anything is possible. She mentions that one of the women she talked to had dropped out of school because of her alcohol addiction but returned and became a lawyer. However, sobriety has some difficulties. Ratner states, “They also said the hardest thing to learn was that they could not always get their way, and they had to get over selfishness.” So there were some problems faced. There was one story about how a woman kept relapsing because she was humiliated after being drunk and didn’t know what to do with her shame. Hearing all these narratives from people, Ratner declared that even though she isn’t an alcoholic, she found all their stories inspiring. After her interview, she wanted to know the women from Alcoholics Anonymous’ final words, and in their agreement, they decided to say, “The way to long-term sobriety was to think through the drink, and what would happen if they drank.”, which Ratner thinks is great advice.

Discussion Question: Do you believe that everyone can successfully overcome their addiction forever or will they fall back to that addiction? With the option you chose, please explain why you chose it.

14 comments

1. mgthibeault

I do believe that people can successfully overcome their addiction forever but it’s not necessarily an easy road to get there. I think that for a person to successfully do this they have to have the drive to do it, not their family, friends, or just people around them but them personally. If they don’t have to motivation to do this and change their life for the better then they would most likely just fall back in to their old ways. I think that anything with addiction whether it’s alcohol or drugs is a long journey to overcome but eventually the days add up and it might be hard and there will be ups and downs but you will finally feel better about yourself and proud of how far you’ve come. So I do believe that everyone can successfully overcome an addiction that they have.

2. caitlinewalker

I definitely think that everyone has the potential to overcome their addiction but that does not mean that everyone will overcome it. Overcoming addiction is something that takes a lot of perseverance and you need to absolutely commit to for the rest of your life. You can’t just make that decision as a flippant things. You need to work for it every day and can’t give up on it. Some people are unable to make that commitment at some points in their life but everyone is able to do it if they try.

3. rophillips

I believe that everyone, if they wanted to, could successfully overcome their addiction forever. As long as they put in the necessary effort, an individual could push past the initial difficult strides in becoming sober. It is a devotion that no person can make without support as it is not something you can fix in just a day. If the person truly has the desire to better themselves and seek out the necessary help, they will overcome this low point in their life.

4. jllannon

I believe that everyone physically has the ability to overcome their addiction but not the mental ability. Weather the addition is to drugs, alcohol, or anything else, the mental strength needed to overcome this challenge will be like no other they will have to face in life. Then on top of that, the self control that is needed to be able to say no is an added level of difficulty for the struggling addicts. Some people who are addicted are able to become clean or sober and stay that way forever while unfortunately, some people make it to the first step but sadly end up relapsing. If these people reach out and get the proper help they need, I believe everyone should be able to overcome their addiction.

5. Kathryn

Personally, I do not think everyone can overcome their addiction. It is often chronic because it is a disease and not a mental illness. Additionally, recovery from addiction is often correlates the quality of treatment you’re receiving, if any at all. The likelihood that you will recover from addiction is increased exponentially if you have access to treatment, which many do not. Additionally, recovery is impossible without determination and extreme perseverance, something that is difficult for even an average person to achieve. While recovery from addiction is possible, many people do not possess the personality or resources to achieve it.

6. Lily

I do believe that everyone has the ability to overcome their addictions forever. Although it might not be easy, it is definitely possible. A person that is trying to overcome their addiction needs to put a ton of effort into accomplishing their goal. They might have temptations and want to fall back into their addiction. It’s a long process that people need motivation and support to achieve. These people have to take it day by day and eventually they will see progress.

7. doreilly

Not everyone can overcome their addiction, regardless of the drug or activity in question. The majority of these stimulants are specifically fabricated to keep you coming back for more, as they antagonistically alter the pathways in the mind and physically refashion the manner in which one thinks. In other words, these drugs render your brain as a half-dead ball of mush, connected unwaveringly and loyally to the mentioned substance. At a certain point, it is unfathomably burdensome, oftentimes unmanageable, to release oneself or another from the dependence of their addiction. This is not to say that all will reach the same predicament, as discontinuing engagement with one’s addiction before it reaches this point is enough to break away and rehabilitate under the assumption that this person will never fall into the same cycle of events. Many people under substance influence regain control of themselves, but lamentably a vast number of addicts are unable to consciously provide aid to themselves.

8. Ethan

I believe that anyone has the ability overcome their addictions successfully. It is not easy for a person to overcome an addiction, but it is possible for the people who want it. Overcoming an addiction starts with understanding that it is a problem, and wanting to stop on your own. You wont be able to quit if someone makes you, it is something you have to want for yourself. Unfortunately, not everyone is in a situation where this can happen. Sometimes people hang out with the wrong friends, who influence this, and other times they can be dealing with a lot of stress. However, they can overcome their addictions through things like rehab. Once you are addicted to something, it will never truly go away. If you manage to quit drinking, but someone offers you alcohol, and you accept it, you will become addicted again. Overcoming an addiction requires a lot of work, but anyone who is willing to put it the work can control their addictions. We all have the ability to do it.

9. tjorstrom

Without a doubt, every person is born with the ability to overcome addiction and break free from the grip of alcohol. While the trip may be difficult and exhausting, the power of human will and drive is limitless. Recognizing the negative influence of alcohol on one’s physical and emotional well-being, along with a firm resolve to change, is the key. Personal triumph stories demonstrate the human spirit’s potential to rise above negative habits. Overcoming alcohol addiction is not only achievable, but also a monument to the tremendous strength that lives inside us all, with the correct support, tools, and an unshakeable belief in oneself.

10. jmbaniqued

I believe that everyone has the capability of overcoming their addiction forever, however not everyone can successfully overcome it. The process of overcoming addiction is without a doubt a difficult task to achieve. There are many factors that will lead a person to return to their addiction such as withdrawal but this doesn’t mean that it is impossible. It’ll take time and a lot of discipline to win over addiction. Although I do believe that everyone has the capability of overcoming their addiction, not everyone will be successful in overcoming it due to many influences.

11. Brayden

I do believe that people can potentially overcome their addiction, it just depends on if they can put their mind to it. People can quit an addiction for week no problem, but to fully overcome an addiction takes a lot. Without support of others, it’ll take a sheer amount of willpower to get over it but it certainly is doable. Unfortunately it doesn’t take much to start someone’s addiction all over again so it can end up going full circle.

12. jpcostello

I do believe that anyone can overcome an addiction forever. I think this because there are many people have done it before, and it seems that the methods to quitting are only growing with the advancements in society. By understanding the negatives of an addiction and the help from others, I think it is very much possible to quit for good. With hard work and will power, one can 100% overcome their addictions.

13. Molly

I think that it is possible for people to successfully overcome their addiction. Everyone has the physical ability to do so, but it is up to their mental strength to overcome it. It definitely is possible as long as people are dedicated to pushing through this hard time for the rest of their life. This is something that can be very difficult to get through, but I believe that with especially a stable support system it is possible as well. Falling back into addiction is very easy when it seems comfortable for the person going through it, but with the right mindset and being able to hold yourself accountable it is possible.

14. csmastroianni

For some people, overcoming addiction and staying sober is possible and sustainable. Many people have successfully managed to break free from their addictive drinking and maintain a healthy life without relapsing. This often involves a combination of factors such as strong motivation, effective treatment or therapy, lifestyle changes, and self-care. I feel that my opinion on this topic is very narrow, I have not personally been addicted to alcohol, so I do not know what the struggle may be to maintaining sobriety.