Why Are We So Sad?

Over the past few weeks, I have read several columns written by Mona Charen and have analyzed her inspirations for writing. She is an American columnist, journalist, and political commentator. Charen has written books that divulge controversial issues and uses her knowledge to change people’s opinions on difficult topics. She is a very well, educated person and is able to use her own research and include quotes from others to help support her ideas. Out of Charen’s many columns, the one that stuck out to me the most was called “Why Are We So Sad?”.

Mona Charen begins this column by stating, “The average life expectancy at birth in the United States has declined for a third straight year due to extremely high rates of death from drug overdose and suicide.” She then continues the column by discussing the hard topic of mental health conditions, specifically depression, and the effects it has on people, especially teenagers. Charen lists reasons of why people turn to these decisions like overwhelming amounts of guilt, sadness, stress, and most relevant, loneliness. She states, “We are not meant to be alone, and we don’t find emotional succor or physical satisfaction in relationships with screens.” She believes that one of the biggest things that causes loneliness for the parents and the children, is divorce. By bringing attention to these recurring issues, Charen hopes that more will be done to help the people all around the U.S. who struggle with this horrible feeling. She concludes her column by sharing her thoughts on how to change this problem by saying, “The road back to emotional health must include and emphasis on commitment to family.” Hopefully in the very near future, more can be done to save the lives of people who feel lonely and struggle with any mental health disorders.

Discussion Question: Do you think being lonely takes a toll on the average person’s mental health? And if so, do you believe we are doing enough to solve this issue?

11 comments

1. mgthibeault

I do think that being lonely can take a major toll on a person’s mental health. For me being alone can sometimes be good thing so I can focus on school and other important things in my life, but being alone and being lonely are two different things. When I’m alone I still have my friends but I’m focussing on other things, when I’m lonely though I feel as though I have no one around me or in my life. This feeling is something that I hate, it makes me upset and honestly does effect my mental health. I think that some people may struggle more than others to solve this issue, it’s hard this way to judge if we are actually doing enough to solve this current mental health issue.

2. rophillips

Being lonely can definitely take a toll on an individual’s mental health as I believe we thrive on social interaction. Even if we need space from others at certain times in our life, completely distancing ourselves from family and friends may cause a person to delve into unhealthy habits. Without support from loved ones, these habits can get out of hand, twisting into mental health issues that need to be treated. As well, a person may not realize they are suffering when they are lonely, with them not having someone to relay outside appearances to them. I think, especially in recent years, we are making great strides in improving mental health. While it still may be a taboo topic, it is definitely not as overlooked and judged by others as it was in years previous. If we continue this trend, I am sure many of the mental health problems seen in people today can be treated.

3. kaiagibson

Being lonely absolutely takes a huge toll on not only a person’s mental health, but seeps into every aspect of their lives. I believe that there are two different types of loneliness though, both of which deeply impact your mental health. One type is when you are physically lonely and don’t have people around you. Not having people in your life to support you can make you feel less than or like you aren’t worth anything. The second type is when you feel lonely on the inside, but still have people physically around you. This one sounds strange, but you can be surrounded by family and friends but not truly feel seen or heard. I feel like people these days are colder than they used to be and don’t take the time to truly see someone for who they are. It sounds cheesy, but most people don’t understand that just a simple thing like “I’m proud of you” goes a long way.

4. jrperron

Loneliness can have major impacts on anyone’s mental health. Not only is it hard to cure, but it is also hard to spot. Even your closest friends can be suffering from mental loneliness, even when they are surrounded by people. Loneliness can also lead to other mental health problems such as anxiety and depression, which can also be hard to spot and/or take care of. The problem with fixing the issue of loneliness is that it’s mainly up to the person that is suffering from it. While in certain cases anti-depressants can help somewhat with loneliness, the person that is experiencing it must take actions such as engaging with newer people or seeking a new hobby to terminate the lonely feeling. So the question of if we are doing enough to fix the issue depends on what the person is doing for themselves. However, mental health research has improved over the years and is trending upward so it wouldn’t be that surprising to see new cures for these illnesses in the coming years.

5. Lily

Being lonely definitely has an impact on one’s mental health. I believe that everyone needs social interaction to flourish in life. If someone is lonely, then it would take a toll on one’s mental health. But, for example, if someone is alone, it could be okay. I like to be alone sometimes just because I simply need a break from others. But, with that being said, I don’t think being alone all the time is good. If you’re alone all the time, I believe you would become very lonely and sad. This would be considered taking a toll on a humans mental health. Do I think we are doing enough to solve this issue? Simple answer, no. If there is still someone struggling, we can always try harder to help them.

6. anmatmanivong

I think that being lonely really does affect a normal person’s mental health. I’ve seen many situations and even myself where something like this has happened because of loneliness. Humans always have some sort of interaction with others and it’s because we need it. It can be seriously damaging to a person’s mental state if they go without having any contact. People could feel emptiness within themselves which mentally and physically hurts them if there is no one around to be there for them. There’s been cases where being lonely could even lead to worsening states for people such as having depression and/or anxiety. Over time, mental health has been a concerning topic but it is still overlooked so I don’t think we are doing enough to solve this issue because there’s still someone out there who needs help and if we were doing what we can, then why is there a higher percentage of mental health illnesses happening now?

7. tjorstrom

Loneliness undeniably takes a toll on mental health, acting as a silent assailant that chips away at one’s emotional well-being. The profound impact it has on individuals cannot be ignored. As social creatures, we thrive on connections and interactions. Isolation and solitude often breed negative emotions, such as anxiety and depression, amplifying feelings of emptiness and despair. To foster a healthier society, we must actively address this issue. Initiatives that encourage genuine human connections, support networks, and mental health awareness should be prioritized. It’s imperative to extend empathy and understanding to those battling loneliness. in doing so, we not only alleviate their suffering but also contribute to a stronger collective mental health landscape.

8. jmbaniqued

Loneliness by all means has a negative effect and toll on a person’s mental health. As human beings we rely on social connections with different people. It is through this that we are able to regulate our emotions and obtain a better overall health. However, when loneliness becomes a great deal in our life, it is difficult to maintain our wellbeing, leading people to fall into depression, stress, and a like. As a society we are not performing at our best to solve this concern, as many people are still suffering, leading to terrible things such as suicide. So we, as people, must work hand in hand to combat this problem that is undeniably affecting society negatively.

9. Ally

Most people have at one point experienced the lows of being lonely. Loneliness is more common than you would think and is often felt differently due to the situation or person. However, no matter how severe loneliness is, it takes a part out of you every time. Unlike regular sadness loneliness stays with you, is harder to get over, and can affect your actions moving forward. I do believe that we have worked harder to solve this issue but loneliness can be so personal and specific that it is hard to come to any sort of overall fix. It is an issue that we need to work out internally and most people unfortunately don’t have the resources or support to come to a healthy solution.

10. Molly

Loneliness definitely takes a negative toll on someone’s mental health. I believe that we need social interactions in order to grow and do well as humans. I think there is a difference between being alone and lonely where being alone is usually a choice and lonely is when you are left to be alone. The feeling of being lonely is something that is hard to overcome and it can certainly impact the way you have social interactions. I do believe that in recent years there has been more done to help solve this issue. But because loneliness is different for everyone, it is hard to have one solution for it.

11. csmastroianni

Yes, loneliness can have a significant impact on the mental health of people. Loneliness has been linked to a range of mental health issues, including depression, anxiety, increased stress, and reduced self-esteem. Everyone can and does feel lonely at times. Just because you feel lonely, does not mean that you are a lonely person. If it proceeds to become out of control and you get potential thoughts of self harm, it is crucial to seek help from others. Tell your parents, or your friends, or your teacher. If it wasn’t so embarrassing to admit loneliness, many lives could be saved.