Ann Coulter

Ann Coulter is a very critical writer. She has a very angry and opinionated tone. Her columns are very straightforward. She is also very insensitive to the feelings of her readers. In a recent article, she wrote about how she believes illegal immigration is not the only immigration problem the U.S has. She thinks that immigrants who do not contribute to the economy of the U.S should not be allowed into the country. She also states that immigrants who live off of welfare should be kicked out of the country because they are ruining our economy. She believes the born citizens of the U.S already have enough money issues. She also states that immigrants should not be allowed in the country if they commit crimes. She thinks that we should have stricter immigration laws and follow in the footsteps of countries like Australia.

Do you think the United States should have stricter immigration laws? Should immigrants who commit crimes be allowed to stay in the country?

15 comments

1. Shayleigh

I do think that the U.S should have stricter immigration laws. I agree that immigrants who live off of welfare should be kicked out. When it comes to immagrants commiting crime I believe in second chances. That being said Ithink if they do more than one thing wrong then they should be sent back to their country no questions asked.

2. Creighty

I do believe that the United States should have stricter Immigration laws. Immigrants that commit serious crimes should be kicked out of country I believe. I think it all depends on the crime however. An immigrant shouldn’t be kicked out if they steal a candy bar for example. If it is a serious and major crime, then yes they should be removed from the United States. The United States shouldn’t just let anyone in our country, but they shouldn’t stop letting immigrants in. America is a place of great opportunity and it leads to a better life for many immigrants.

3. Alex

Ann Coulter is very similar to Bill O’Reilly. She gets straight to the point and she writes exactly how she feels, not worrying about who she may offend or who’s feelings she may hurt. I do agree that the United States should have stricter immigration laws. I believe that immigrants should have to earn their stay. When they come into the country, the should have to be legally documented. Once documented, they should have to find a job. If they work hard and still need the help of welfare, than that help should be provided. However, if they are caught living here illegally, or are not working and living off of welfare, then they should be kicked out. Once they are legally U.S. citizens, then they should be treated like one in the court system. They should be treated and punished the same way that every other citizen is.

4. AlexD

Illegal immigration is a very big problem we are currently facing. The name “illegal immigrant” shows that immigrants who are here without approval are already committing a crime, and for that they should be deported. If an illegal immigrant is caught committing any crime, they should be removed from the United States and sent back to their countries. If the immigrant is here legally, breaking the law should incur stronger punishments against them, but if it is a minor crime they shouldn’t have any additional penalty. I also believe that laws should be relaxed to encourage more people to immigrate legally instead of illegally. Without strict laws there would be little reason to break them, and it would mean that people would go through the proper channels to immigrate to the U.S. legally.

5. JacobH

I do believe that people who do not contribute to the economy or live off of welfare cause some problems for the country, but I do not believe that this makes deportation an acceptable solution. Nor do I believe that these people are exclusively immigrants. I’m aware that lots of people abuse the welfare system, but this group of people consists of immigrants and natively-born Americans alike.

Stricter immigration laws may help the situation to some extent, but I believe that Coulter is mistaken in her assertion that immigrants are the sole source of the problem.

6. Chris

America should have stricter immigration laws, it’s a huge problem. There are too many immigrants living off of welfare and ruining the economy. These people should not be allowed to stay if they do not have any contribution to our nation. Immigrants who commit large scaled crimes should undoubtedly be removed from this country. We have no need for them. However, if a person were to commit a misdemeanor, I say give them another chance, but if it begins to happen repeatedly, back you go.

7. Jake

Coulter’s opinionated and critical writing style is not sufficient when writing about arguments; instead, Coulter should be addressing both sides of the issue with facts as well as stating her own opinions. In my opinion about Coulter’s column involving immigration in the United States, I believe that the US should have stricter immigration laws. The US should have stricter immigration laws because more and more immigrants are entering the US, and as a result we need to keep this number under moderation. By moderating the amount of immigrants in the US, we also are monitoring what these immigrants are bringing into the country, such as anything illegal or harmful to our country. I also believe that if these immigrants do commit crimes, they should not be allowed to stay in the country. These immigrants entering the US is a privilege and consequently they need to follow the rules and regulations of our country.

Should immigrants who commit crimes be allowed to stay in the country?

8. Matt B

I do agree with everyone that the US should have stricter immigration laws. It is a privilege for immigrants to be able to live here in the first place, and if they abuse that privilege they should be kicked out. This must occur if the crime that the immigrant committed is serious or repetitive. Our country has a hard enough time keeping our own people in order,the last thing we need is immigrants acting up and causing more problems. If they think our rules don’t apply to them because they aren’t from here they should be banished from our country forever.

9. Caitlynn H.

I definitely think that the United States should have much stricter laws on immigration. People who come here illegally are allowed to stay when they are on welfare and use the governments money. I think you should not be able to stay here if u commit a crime or do anything that is unlawful. I

10. DevanB

I agree with Coulter that the United States should have more strict laws for immigrants. I agree with Coulter when she says that immigrants are ruining our already struggling economy. Most immigrants most likely have a difficult time finding a well paying job and are in need well fair. I think that becoming a member of the United States is a privilege. If immigrants are willing to risk that privilege by committing felonies, then they deserve to be kicked out.

11. Cj

The United States could use stricter immigration laws, however these laws would be very hard to enforce. There already are illegal immigrants here and if the laws were to be made stricter then the people who were legally turned down may turn to entering the U.S. illegally. One possible solution to the welfare issue could be a short term allowance of welfare while they are finding a job. If they do not find a job in the time then they may be deported. if they commit a crime then they also should be deported, immigrants should get one chance and that may keep them from attempting any crimes. This way those who have no intention of committing crimes are not affected.

12. Coll Reilly

America is well often sought out to be the land of opportunity. Thats entirely what America is made up of; ever since the pilgrims came to the U.S., people have followed in their footsteps and worked hard to save up enough money to make the journey, and then work even harder when they arrive. I do think however that if our laws were stricter, that wouldn’t turn away the people who were going to be adding to our economy like the hard workers who just want a better life. It would help keep out the sketchy people who may or may not be drug dealers. I think immigrants who commit crimes should not be allowed to stay in the country, we should have them on a strike system and tell them that if they mess up, they’re out for good. They shouldn’t be allowed to come here and corrupt our community.

13. Keegan

I believe that America should have stricter immigration laws as we have a huge issue with illegal immigrants who slip under the radar and don’t pay taxes. However, like Colleen said America is the land of opportunity so if legal immigration is a great thing. Finally depending on the magnitude of the crime should depend on the repercussions such as possible deportation. I don’t completely disagree with Ann but I do for the most part.

14. Koby

I do think that America should have stricter immigration laws because many come into the country illegally. Therefore, we should not allow so many immigrants in because a lot of them bring down the economy and hurt our country. I think that illegal immigrants who commit crimes should not be allowed to stay because they came into the country illegally. I also think that immigrants who came into the country and are legal citizens who commit crimes should be punished just like other citizens.

15. Liam

I believe that we should have more strict immigration laws because more and more immigrants are coming into our country illegally. With the potential problems they could have had already in their own country, we wouldn’t want their problems in our country. If any illegal immigrants commit crimes they should not stay in the country because they have gotten a chance to have a fresh start and if they get into trouble here in America, , it just proves that they shouldn’t be here.