Susan Estrich

Susan Estrich is a very opinionated writer. Her column titled “Looking Evil in the Eye” shows just how opinionated she is. This column is about three teenage boys who killed a man jogging by them just because they were “bored”. She states “News accounts say the two younger boys have had hard lives. The mother of the 15-year-old is in jail. Last year, the 16-year-old lost both his stepfather and his brother. Illness? Murder? Plainly, loss did not make them better people. Perhaps the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Is that cruel? Sure. But we are talking here of pure evil.” This shows that she has no sympathy for the three boys.

Do you like how Susan shares her opinion? Do you like her writing style? Should the three boys be tried as adults and go to prison for murder?

13 comments

1. Nicole H.

I agree with Susan Estrich that loss did not make these boys “better people”. Many children that do not have proper guidance tend to follow in their parents’ footsteps. This is mostly because no one has taught them right from wrong. However, this is no excuse for the boys. Killing someone because they were “bored” is messed up. I wouldn’t go as far as saying this is “pure evil”, but maybe if these boys were sent to prison, they would learn from this and want to become better people. I liked Estrich’s writing style because she provides both sides of the story by describing the “hard lives” of the boys and the “pure evil” of the murder. I also liked how she shared her opinion because it shows that she is a confident writer.

2. AlexD

The hardships that those three boys faced is terrible, but that does not give them a just cause to murder someone out of “boredom”. Just because they have no parental role models to look up to for guidance, doesn’t mean they can kill without repercussion. This is indicative of the three having mental illnesses, as no rational person would do this. I think they should be tried as adults, as they knew what their actions would cause, and they decided to go with it anyway. I do like the way she expressed her opinion, as it shows her strong views on this subject. She truly believes what these boys did is “true evil”, and supports that through her reasoning. Her hard-hitting writing style is also effective in communicating her message to her audience.

3. Sami TM

I agree with Susan, because those boys where old enough to know the difference between right and wrong. They knew that killing a man is wrong, but they did it anyway, and making up and excuse by saying they where bored is sicking. The boys out right admitted they committed the murder without even coming up with a viable excuse. They should be tried as adults and spend the rest of their lives in jail because they took away another mans life without any probable cause, and they should suffer the same fate. I do like her writing style, she seems very interesting and very straight to the point and matter a fact on her opinions. It is very blunt, but it is way better then beating around the bush.

4. Ana

Just because the boys had some troubles in their life does not mean they should end someone else’s. I do like how Susan share her opinion because I agree with it on how there should be no sympathy for the boys just because their family life is not that great. Plenty of other people have had much harder lives, and would not to an atrocious act like that. I do think they boys should be tried as adults because they knew what they were doing was wrong and they did it anyways. They should definitely go to jail for this.

5. Serena

I do like how Susan shares her opinions, especially because this is such a serious matter. I also like that in her writing style she comes off very blunt and says what needs to be said about the boys. Susan does not show any sympathy towards the boys and she shouldn’t. The boys most likely thought that sympathy would allow them to get away with a crime like this in the firs place. These three boys should be tried as adults. Like a few others said here, they were old enough to know what is not acceptable but they just thought they would be able to get away with it. Since they had no leadership examples in their lives growing up, they’ll never learn life doesn’t have to be that way if they aren’t shown otherwise. I feel like by them going to prison at such a young age they will realize from the older inmates that they still have time to turn their lives around.

6. Joslyn

I like how Susan shares her opinion and I like how confident she is about it. I agree that loss did not make these boys better people, but that still did not give them the right to kill someone just because they were “bored”. I do like her writing style and I feel like I would enjoy reading more of her columns. I believe the boys should be tried as adults for murder and go to prison because, even though they had no one to tell them right from wrong, and they had behavioral issues, they should have known that killing someone out of boredom is completely unacceptable.

7. Creighty

I like how your author Susan Estrich shares her opinion, especially because I agree with it. Murder is murder, and these three teenage boys should have no sympathy towards them. These boys should definitely be sent to prison. Killing someone because they are “bored” is pure evil. Even if they didn’t have the proper guidance as kids, everyone knows that murder is not okay. Susan’s writing style is unique because she really gets into the topic and she shares how she feels.

8. Jackie

I believe that Susan Estrich’s writing technique should not only display her own opinions, but instead should also include facts from both sides of the argument. Although I believe that Estrich should include more facts on both sides of the issue, she does a great job supporting and displaying her own opinion. In fact, I agree with Estrich on the matter involving the murder of a man out of boredom. These boys should be tried as adults and sent to prison regardless of their background, family or mental issues. No one should kill a person out of pure boredom or kill anyone period. As a result, these boys should have known that murder is against the law and should accept the consequences.

9. crroche

The three boys might of had some hard times but that is no excuse for taking a mans life. I agree with Susan. The boys were old enough to no right from wrong. I’m not sure they should be tried as adults but I don’t think they should get sympathy for what they have done. If they knew what they were doing they should be able to take responsibility for it. As for Susan’s writing styles I think that she can voice her own opinion but she should also make note that other people are going to think differently.

10. Kristi

I do like how Susan shares her opinion and doesn’t worry about what other people will say. I like her writing style because it is very straightforward and she is not trying to hide or sugarcoat the way she feels. I do believe the boys should be tried as adults and go to prison for murder because having a not so good life should not excuse you for the murder of another human.

11. Caitlynn H.

I do like how straightforward she is. I think it puts more emphasis on the topic, which is the important part. I like her writing style because is it very raw and she gets to the point. She does not include ant “fluff” in her articles. I think the boys do deserve to go to jail. They were old enough to know what they were doing and deserve to be punished for it. The fact that they had difficult childhoods sort of explains why they did what they did, but it definitely does not justify it.

12. Zach P

I like Susan’s writing style and how she shares her opinion. She first states the facts without bias. This gives readers a good background of the situation from a neutral perspective. From there, it is the job of the reader to decide where they stand on the topic. So it is fair for Susan to state her opinion, no matter how harsh it is. As long as she maintains a neutral tone while stating the facts, I think she has the right to be as vicious as she wants after that. I believe the three boys should be tried as adults and go to prison for murder. With small crimes I think it is a good idea for kids to be tried as minors, because they may have had family issues and not fully know the consequences of their actions. But everyone knows the difference between right and wrong when it comes to very serious crimes like murder. They need to be tried as adults.

13. Amelia

I like her writing style and the way that she states her opinion strongly. If a reader does not agree with her strong statements and gets offended or defensive about it, they should simply just not read it. I think that the boys were old enough to know right from wrong. They killed him simply from boredom and I think that the punishment should be the same for a teen as it is for an adult. There is no difference in the result of the crime but a difference in the age of murderer and that does not change what they did. They are old enough to know what they were doing was wrong and therefore they should be sent to prison for murder just like any other person would be.