Michelle Malkin

Michelle Malkin is an extremely opinionated author, who clearly does not like the federal government or our current Presidential administration. She is very much the conservative Republican: anti-big government, pro-gun, and certainly no fan of President Obama, and she is not ashamed to admit it.

In one of her columns, she expresses her opinion that the Federal government should be held more accountable for keeping potential dangerous people from getting jobs in government agencies or going into the military, and she believes that doing so would be much more effective a curbing violence in America than either gun control or mental health care reform. In this article, she sights  instances of dangerous people getting into the government and causing harm, such as the mass shooting perpetrated by Navy veteran Aaron Alexis, and believes that it is the government’s fault that these things happened.

Do you agree with Michelle? Do you think that the government should be responsible for ensuring no dangerous people are given jobs where they could potentially cause harm? Would doing so be more effective at reducing violence in America than gun control or mental health reforms would be?

4 comments

1. Colleen K

Celia,
    Michelle Malkin does seem extremely opinionated and biased. I think that it is definitely a responsibility of the Federal government to ensure that all of the workers are safe and they should do many background checks to make sure of this. We do not want potentially harmful people to be hired to work for our government where they may be causing harm to our country. However, I do think that gun control should be limited and mental health reforms should be increased to reduce violence in this country as well.

2. Sami TM

I agree to disagree. I do believe the government should go through more extensive procedures for their government jobs. This will make the inside of our government, keeping our secrets, president and our Executive, Judicial, Legislative branches out of harms way. However, I do believe that there should not be further mental screenings, only because they want to make it so that people who have taken medications such as antidepressants cannot ever purchase a gun or have a gun license. This would create a large expansion in the black market, thus creating more underground societies. If someone wants to commit a crime, they would go to any extent. I mean look at the book we read and Perry and Dick just killed, for fun. They thought about it over a hundred times.

3. Hannah B

I agree in some cases. I think that the government should be more careful as to who they hire. They should have many background checks, such as mental health, physical health, if they have every been in jail, and so forth. No one wants potentially dangerous people to actually harm anyone. I believe that even though gun control could curb a problem in America, mental health reforms would be a better option. I do, however think that she is biased.

4. Joslyn

Michelle Malkin does seem rather opinionated. I think that government should be responsible for ensuring no dangerous people are given jobs where they could potentially cause harm. They should be extremely careful. They should ensure that they are all safe and should definitely do background checks on everyone. Limiting gun control would also reduce violence as well as increasing health reforms could help too.