David Harsanyi, devils advocate or right-wing thinker?

The three articles I have read from David Harsanyi have been rude, and in some cases he even disproves his own argument, or it almost seems invalid. In most cases I have found myself infuriated about his arguments.  In one article I ended up reading, he stated that teachers shouldn’t complain about their salary, and in some cases they are OVER PAID! He believes that teachers should be compared to mechanics and also that no matter the degree they shouldn’t receive the benefits they get. Also in his article he states that what everyone else does, they compare them to mechanics, is it really his own thoughts?

What do you think? Is he a devil’s advocate just because he says he is Republican? Or are these truly his views? Do you agree or disagree with this and why?

5 comments

1. Shayleigh

I strongly disagree with Harsanyi. Teachers work very hard all the time. I think comparing them to mechanics is stupid and makes no sense at all. He clearly is bias. It is hard to tell if this is his true opinion or if he is just because he says he is a Republican. But if these are truly his views I think that he needs to reevaluate his life. Maybe he should see the amount of work some teachers put in for their students to have a good education. Also many if teachers are going back to school while teaching another class who is he to say that they do not deserve benefits.

2. Hannah B

I disagree wholeheartedly with David Harsanyi. He shouldn’t be comparing anyone to mechanics, accept mechanics. I don’t understand how a teacher could be compared to a mechanic, when in reality, they both work hard for their money. Being a Republican doesn’t mean you’re a devils advocate. I don’t think these are his true views because it doesn’t entirely seem like he knows what hes talking about.

3. Joslyn

I disagree with David Harsanyi, however, I agree that he is rude. Teachers are not over paid and they shouldn’t be compared to mechanics at all. Teachers deserve their benefits and should probably be getting paid more considering what some of these teachers have to deal with. Being a Republican doesn’t necessarily make him a devils advocate and therefore I don’t know if these are truly his views, but I really hope not. Teachers do a lot to make sure children get a proper education and they always work hard.

4. Mr. Yed

I have to disagree with Harsanyi. Teachers are arguably the most important people in the working community that don’t protect the community. They teach us what will be important to us, preparing us for each career we take. And teacher’s receive terrible pay when put with this important job. The job should pay more because they are more important than people realize. Also, why mechanics? It doesn’t make sense to me as to why teachers should be compared to mechanics, as the jobs are very different. I find it hard to believe this is his own opinion, but it is too difficult to tell with the given information. But I can say I agree with you, and he is rude.