William Raspberry

William Raspberry is a very biased columnist and his topics overall show how peoples poor choices can effect the children. All around the world there are women who feel like marriage is a second option in life after moving in a house and having a child. William talks about how women aren’t opposed to marriage they just think they should wait until there is a shot for it to actually work and not have it end up in divorce a few years later and have children without being married. But since the majority of women think of marriage as an achievement rather then a stable house life for the child’s sake there are many single mothers in poverty. Also if the child is a boy there is a higher risk for them to end up in crime, and a higher risk children with single mothers end up in poverty.

So do you agree with the women’s thoughts on marriage after children? Do you agree with William Raspberry and think you should wait to have kids till after marriage?                                                                                                                                             If you were in this situation how would you handle it?

9 comments

1. Ilona

I agree with the thought that it is better for a child to be raised in a single family household than to be raised with a seemingly loving family which is only ripped apart because of a predictable divorce. It is harder to adapt to the latter than it is to be raised in the former. I believe it is important for a child to be raised in a home that is financially stable and a healthy environment for the child to be learning in, which is not necessarily a family with married parents. As long as the child can grow up happily, I do not see a need for the parents to be married. Of course, I may be biased and not have the most objective view on this topic.

2. gmreichert

There is nothing wrong with a single mother, because someone has the title of a single mother doesn’t mean they are a bad mother and that is where people tend to assume the wrong things. I believe a single mother would almost do more from her children then a married mother would. Personally I think children should wait until after marriage but women are allowed to choose to do whatever they’d like to. Also every situation is different so there will never be a single answer for all the different situations.

3. Kyra

I believe that people should get married before they have children, because if they do the opposite, and the marriage doesn’t work out, there could be financial troubles, physiological damage to the child, etc… I believe you should get married first, and see how well it worose out before you have children. At least that’s how I would handle it.

4. Jocelyn

I think it is perfectly fine to have kids and be a single mother as long as you care for your children. It may be harder to provide for your kids without another parent but its is feasible. Kids after marriage may be better but if the two parents get in a horrible divorce then the situation may be worse for the child and disrupt their life. I don’t completely agree with children before marriage but if it happens it is okay and the single mother will have to try her best to provide and care for her child.

5. Cali

I believe that it is up to the woman to decide how she wants to handle the situation. Although, I believe it is best for women to create a stable relationship with a man they love before they think about having children. I don’t think that marriage has to come first. It is important for a child to live in a loving and safe home, even if it means only one parent is able to provide that. It could be harder financially to support a child, or children, if there is just one single parent raising them. Divorces are becoming more common and many children are left with one parent to take care of them. Having two parents who are married who fight all the time isn’t good for a child so it may be best to for the child to be raised by one parent. If a woman believes it is best for her to be married in order to create more stability and then have children, then that is her decision.

6. Ryan B

There are many great people in the world that are single mothers. As long as you are a good, single mother, there is no problem in being one. However, to provide best for yourself and your child, I feel like it is best to wait to have children after marriage so that you know the child will have a complete family that has sustained for some time before the child is born. This is a tough topic, for everyone has their own view on it, a couple could really want to rush for a child, and others might want to wait until they think they are ready. Whether a single mother or a married couple, it does not matter as long as you are capable of raising a child in a healthy and safe way.

7. Molly

I see Rasberry’s point of view, but I cannot completely agree. I think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a single mother. If you want to be a single mother that’s perfectly fine. Sometimes it’s not ideal, but sometimes there isn’t really a choice. People make mistakes sometimes and some people just want to do it by themselves and not have a man. I feel like you should get married if you want to and you are in love, and sometimes even marriage isn’t the answer or definition of love. I mean think about it, just because your married doesn’t mean you love somebody, all the time, and why waste marriage or be unhappy with somebody, I don’t think that’s necessarily teaching the child the right thing. I just think everybody should have a choice, and if you want to be a strong, independent woman and raise the child by yourself then do it. I think the real question is, why aren’t we debating about a man raising a single child? They should be as equal and responsible for raising a child as a women, and we should be having this conversation about them as well.

8. Jill

I agree to a certain point with what Raspberry says. I do think that in a perfect world, everyone would want to be eternally happy with their partner and grow into having a family of their own by having kids, but this is not a perfect world we live in. People make mistakes, some lie about their true feelings towards their partner and others might abuse the ones they so call “love.” If you take these things into consideration, sometimes there is no other option then to leave the one you once loved and get a divorce. Now, I think that waiting a while to have a child, just until you know things are where you want them to be and your relationship is serious with your significant other, is the smartest move. I don’t necessarily think that you have to be married to bring a child into your life, that is your choice. But I do think that if you decide to have a child, especially if you are a single parent, you need to make sure that you are financially stable and are going to be surrounding the child in a good, healthy environment.

9. lindsay

I think that it is best to wait to have children until after you are married that way the child is in a stable home with two loving parents that have good jobs. But I also think that the child would be just as safe with a single mother because many single mothers work very hard to provide for there children. if I was in this same situation I would wait until after marriage and even wait a few years after getting married before having children. I would do this to insure that my marriage is stable and our living situation is stable before bringing another life into this world.